Narrow your search by one of these categories:
Maintaining good vision is a major concern for many people as they grow older. Other problems that may affect our eyes at any age include acute conditions such as conjunctivitis or styes, allergies including hayfever, and seemingly unexplained conditions such as dry eyes, simple ‘eye strain’ or poor night vision. One thing we can do to help protect and support the health of our ...Read more eyes is eat a diet high in antioxidant-rich, bright-coloured vegetables and fruits. But we can go that little bit further by supplementing certain nutrients that may be particularly helpful. These include:
• Lutein and zeaxanthin. These are two carotenoids (substances in the same ‘family’ as beta-carotene) that are found in abundance in the retina and macula of the eye. They are thought to be protective of eye by filtering the harmful blue light that can damage cells in the eye.
• Bilberry. The extract of this fruit may help to improve circulation to the eyes, and its antioxidant properties may also help to protect against free radical damage and strengthen the connective tissue of the eyes.
• Taurine is an amino acid that, like lutein and zeaxanthin, is found in high concentrations in the retina and macula. It may also be protective due to its antioxidant effects.
• Ginkgo Biloba may help by improving blood circulation to the eyes.
Other nutrients that may help support eye health include:
• Alpha lipoic acid
• Vitamin A (or betacarotene)
• B vitamins
• Vitamin C
• Essential fatty acids
Many of these can be found together in specific supplements, or individually.
Sort results by: