Mothers & Pregnancy
Narrow your search by one of these categories:
What are pregnancy and conception supplements?
Pregnancy and conception supplements are designed to give you base line nutrition which you can add to a healthy diet. They are formulated with specific levels of nutrients that are optimal for pre-conception, for both men and women, and pregnancy supplements for women. They usually come as a multi nutrient ...Read more blend, on their own, or together with an omega 3 supplement and live cultures.
What do pregnancy and conception supplements do in the body?
Conception supplements for women provide your body with nutrition, to help prepare your body for child bearing. Conception supplements for men are designed to give you the right nutrients so your body can produce healthy sperm.
We all want the best for our children. One of the best and first things you can do for your children is prepare your body before conception, and provide your baby with optimal nutrition for growth and development.
Nutrients in such formulas have many functions in the body such as:
• Contributes to normal creation of sperm (Selenium)
• Contributes to normal fertility and reproduction (Zinc)
• Increases maternal Folate status. Low levels are a risk factor in developing neural tube defects in the developing foetus (Folic acid)
• Contribute to the maternal tissue growth during pregnancy (Folate)
• Contributes to normal DNA synthesis (Zinc)
• Has a role in the process of cell division (Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Vitamin D, Zinc), and cell specialisation (vitamin A)
• Contributes to normal amino acid synthesis (Folate) and the synthesis of protein (Magnesium, Zinc)
• Contributes to normal blood formation (Folate), normal blood cells (Iron, vitamin B6) and haemoglobin (Iron)
• Contributes to the normal formation of connective tissue (Manganese)
• Is needed for normal growth and development of bones is children (Calcium, Vitamin D, Phosphorus)
• Contributes to normal visual development in infants up to the age of 12 months (Omega 3 as DHA)
• Maternal intake contributes to the normal brain development of the foetus (omega 3 as DHA)
• Iodine contributes to the normal growth in children (Iodine)
• Contributes to the normal cognitive development in children (Iodine)
Why do I need pregnancy and conception supplements?
Pregnancy is a very demanding phase for a woman to go through, so it is best to prepare and make sure that you have built up good nutrient stores with conception supplements.
Men should take male specific supplement, so your body has the necessary ingredients to make health sperm.
Your baby can only be built out of the nutrients that you give him/her, and it is easier to grow healthy children, than to fix broken adults.
Your baby will take the nutrition that he/she needs from your body, providing that you are consuming enough in your diet. If you do not consume enough in your diet, your baby will take it from your stores. Our main nutrient stores are calcium and magnesium in the bones, and omega 3 fats in our brains, which may be why some pregnant woman may suffer from ‘baby brain’. It is best to take a pregnancy supplement to keep both mom and baby well
How do I take pregnancy and conception supplements?
Pregnancy and conception supplements usually come in capsules, tablets or oils, and are normally taken with foods. Conception supplements should ideally be taken for at least 3 months before conception occurs, while pregnancy supplements should be taken for the whole duration of the pregnancy.