Cod Liver Oil
What is cod liver oil?
Cod liver oil is the oil that is pressed out of cod livers. This oil is highly prised for its high omega 3 content and is a direct source of DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid) and EPA (Eicosapentaenoic acid). Cod liver oil is extracted, purified, and then tested to make sure that it is free from contaminants, or is as low as possible from ...Read more contaminants. This oil is a source of omega 3 fatty acids, containing 19736mg of omega 3 per 100g as standard. Some products are then concentrated to make the omega 3 content even higher.
What does cod liver oil do in the body?
Omega 3 plays many roles in the body. It is required for the creation of something known as prostaglandin series 3. Prostaglandins series 3 is used in the anti-inflammatory processes in the body.
Cod Liver oil is a source of DHA, EPA and vitamin D.
Omega 3 has many roles within the body which include:
• Contributes to the maintenance of normal vision (DHA)
• Contributes to the maintenance of normal blood triglyceride levels (EPA, DHA)
• Contributes to the maintenance of normal brain function (DHA)
• Contribute to the maintenance of normal blood pressure (EPA, DHA)
• Maternal intake contributes to the normal development of the eyes and brain development of the foetus and breastfed infants (DHA)
• Contributes to the normal visual development of infants up to the age of 12 months (DHA)
• Contributes to the normal function of the heart (EPA, DHA)
Vitamin D is required for:
• The normal growth and development of bones in children
• Helps to reduce the risk of falling associated with postural instability and muscle weakness
• Has a role in the process of cell division
• Contributes to maintenance of normal teeth, bones and muscle function
• Contributes to normal blood calcium levels
Why do I need cod liver oil?
For optimal health, omega 3 must be in ratio to omega 6, 1:2. Our typical western diets however tend to be omega 6 heavy, in fact in some cases are as high as omega 3 to 6 ratio of 1:15!
Adding in cod liver oil is a great start at consuming more omega 3 and correcting the balance of fats within the body.
How do I take cod liver oil?
Cod liver oil can be taken as a liquid, or in capsules. Many liquids contain something such as lemon oil to give it a pleasant taste. Liquids can be mixed into foods such as yoghurt. Once opened, it is best stored in the fridge.