Note: There are affiliate links in this article, if you buy something, we get a commission on the sale.
Are you looking for a good ashwagandha supplement?
These are the 10 best selling ashwagandha products with the highest reviews and best feedback online.
Top 10 Ashwagandha Products Compared
1. Organic India Ashwagandha
- Contains 800 mg of organic Ashwagandha root extract.
- USDA certified organic herbal supplement. It is non-GMO, certified Kosher and Halal. The capsules are certified vegan and vegetarian.
2. Nature’s Way Ashwagandha
- Contains 500 mg of standardized Ashwagandha extract with 4 percent (20 mg) Withanolides.
- Certified vegetarian and gluten free with no sugar added. It is also free of wheat, soy, yeast, salt and dairy.
- There are no artificial additives or preservatives but it does contain magnesium stearate.
3. Pure Encapsulations Ashwagandha
- Contains 500 mg of Ashwagandha root.
- Certified as hypoallergenic, non GMO, vegan and vegetarian.
4. NOW Foods Ashwagandha
- Contains 450 mg of root extract with a minimum of 2.5 percent (11 mg) Withanolides.
- Certified as vegetarian and vegan, gluten free, non-GMO, dairy free, wheat free, soy free and egg free.
5. Solaray Ashwagandha
- Contains 470 mg of Ashwagandha root extract and it also guarantees at least 1.5 percent (7 mg) of Withanolides.
- Guaranteed vegetarian and green screened.
6. Nutrigold Ashwagandha Gold
- Contains 500 mg of ashwagandha root with guaranteed 5 percent Withanolides.
7. Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha
- Gaia Herbs Ashwagandha contains 250 mg of Ashwagandha root extract (or equivalent 2,700 mg of dry herb).
- Gaia company harvests its Ashwagandha on its own farm in Brevard, NC.
8. Ayush Herbs Ashwagandha
- Contains 500 mg of Ashwagandha extract and 25 mg of Withanolides.
- Is certified to be free from milk, wheat and soy. It is also certified as USDA organic.
9. Himalaya Herbal Ashwagandha
- Contains 280 mg of standardized Ashwagandha root extract, 380 mg of organic Ashwagandha root powder and 10 mg of Withanolides.
10. Planetary Ayurvedics Full Spectrum Ashwagandha
The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule two times daily with a meal.
- Contains 570 mg of Ashwagandha root and root extract and 59 mg of calcium.
- Gluten-free and free of egg, dairy, soy and nuts.
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha is a medicinal plant with a long history of use as an “adaptogen” that helps the body deal with stress more productively, according to WebMD. Plants classified as “adaptogenic” typically contain a combination of certain amino acids, herbs and vitamins that can help the body cope with two types of stress: internal and external.
In the original Sanskrit, the word “ashwaganda” literally translates to mean “the strength of a horse.” The Ashwagandha plant itself is a lovely short shrub with raisin-sized red-orange fruit. Botanically, it is part of the tomato, pepper and nightshade plant family. Ashwagandha is harvested in India, Africa, the Middle East and the United States.
Things to Look for in a Good Ashwagandha Supplement
When you are shopping for an Ashwagandha supplement, make sure the supplement you choose is free from additives, fillers, preservatives, stability aids and harsh extraction processes. If the supplement is organic, that is even better. Most importantly, look for the Withanolides concentration, since Withanolides are the active ingredient that give the Ashwagandha plant its healing and stress relieving benefits.
How to Take Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha berries and roots can be used to create a supplement form. Supplements come in powder, liquid tincture and tablet/capsule form. The generally preferred form is a root extract, especially in Ayurvedic medicine. You should take Ashwagandha supplements with meals at first (to ensure no upset stomach) and take it in the morning if you take it only once per day.
If you are pregnant or planning to start a family, you should not take ashwagandha. If you have diabetes or thyroid dysfunction, or you are currently taking blood pressure medication or medicine for diabetes, talk to your doctor before taking ashwagandha.