What are Beauty Supplements?
Beauty supplements are nutrients, amino acids and herbs which stimulate the growth and repair of your skin, hair and nails. They come in individual nutrients or in formulations.
What do Beauty Supplements do in the body?
Some of the nutrients commonly found in beauty supplements are:
• Collagen which is one of the main structural components of the skin. It is the collagen in skin which gives it strength and elasticity.
• Hyaluronic acid is a component found abundantly in your skin. It can hold up to 4 times its weight in water molecules, so therefore plays an important role in skin hydration.
• Kelp, a seaweed that is rich in Iodine. Iodine is important for normal skin.
• Biotin which is needed for normal hair growth and skin
• Vitamin C is needed for the formation of collagen
• Zinc which is needed for hair, nails and skin
• Astaxanthin which helps to mop up free radicals
• Vitamin E contributes to the protection of oxidative stress
Why do I need Beauty Supplements?
The natural reduction in collagen and hyaluronic acid as we age is what causes wrinkling of the skin. Ageing is an inevitable part of life; however we can give our body a helping hand in providing these. Having healthy skin, hair and nails is also reliant on having enough of the right nutrients. We all want to look our best, and we can give our bodies a helping hand!
How do I take Beauty Supplement?
Beauty supplements come either as complexes or as individual nutrients. Collagen comes as either a powder to be mixed with water or in capsules. Collagen is best taken on an empty stomach, where it does not compete for absorption with other proteins. Hyaluronic acid usually comes in capsules to be taken with a meal. Astaxanthin usually comes on its own or with essential fatty acids such as fish or krill oil. Biotin, vitamin C, Zinc and vitamin E can all be purchased separately, or are available in beauty complexes.