Note: There are affiliate links in this article, if you buy something, we get a commission on the sale.
What Are Chia Seeds?
Oddly, chia seeds were first introduced to the West through that iconic 1970’s kitchen ornament, the chia pet. Chia seeds come from the chia plant, which grows freely in Mexico and Guatemala. It has a highly respectable nutritional history that dates back as far as the Aztecs, but is only recently gaining in popularity as a supplement in the United States.
Benefits of Chia Seeds
Chia seeds are so tiny, and yet they prove that some pretty great benefits can come in the most unassuming of packages. For example, chia seeds are packed full of antioxidants, that help fight free radicals. Chia seeds are also loaded with minerals, including each of the following:
- Omega-3 fatty acids.
Things to Look for in a Good Chia Seed Product
Choosing a chia seed supplement can depend on how and how much you plan to consume daily. It is always wise to check with your doctor before beginning any new health regimen, especially if you are currently being treated for any health conditions.
In general, supplements made up of white and/or black chia seeds are the best. This is because white and black chia seeds are the fully mature seeds that contain the highest concentration of minerals and nutrients. As well, look for pure chia seeds and pay attention to where the supplement was manufactured (stateside is best).
Best Way to Eat Chia Seeds
Note: We recommend speaking to a doctor before taking any supplements.
There are so many ways to incorporate chia seeds into your regular daily diet. You can make soaked chia pudding, sprinkle raw chia seeds on top of cereal or yogurt, blend them in with your smoothies, grind them up to add as salad or side dish toppings and take them direct in supplement form. You may want to try several ways to see what is your favorite method.
Top 10 Chia Seed Product
1. HealthWorks Chia Seeds
Healthworks Chia Seeds come in two forms: raw pesticide and chemical free and raw organic. Both forms are made in Mexico, South America, where chia seeds originate from. Both forms contain 100 percent raw chia seeds with no other ingredients.
- Healthworks Chia Seeds is a company that operates out of Scottsdale, AZ. They sell both chia seed supplement forms in 1 lbs., 2 lbs., 3 lbs., 4 lbs., 5 lbs. and 6 lbs. bags. If you need larger quantities you can contact their Wholesale division for a price quote. One fun aspect of ordering from Healthworks is that their website contains a repository of recipes so you can start trying different chia recipes right away!
2. Viva Labs Organic Chia Seeds
Viva Labs Organic Chia Seeds contains only pure, raw chia seeds cultivated in Argentina. This supplement is also certified as gluten free, vegan, organic and non-GMO. The supplement contains a mixture of black and white mature chia seeds.
- Viva Labs Organic Chia Seeds is a company based in Valley Cottage, NY. Their products come from Mexico, Paraguay and Argentina, all places where chia plants originated from. The supplements are produced in a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved manufacturing facility.
3. Navitas Naturals Organic Chia Seeds
Navitas Naturals Organic Chia Seeds are certified organic. This supplement contains 100 percent pure, raw, mature black and white organic chia seeds in their whole form. This supplement is certified non-GMO.
- Navitas Naturals Organic Chia Seeds cultivates its chia seeds throughout Mexico, Paraguay and Argentina. The Navitas website includes several recipes that use chia seeds so you can try different preparations and see which ones you enjoy most. All Navitas manufacturing facilities where chia seed supplements are produced are certified organic.
4. Bob’s Red Mill Chia Seeds
Bob’s Red Mill Chia Seeds is a supplement made from pure, whole, raw black and white mature chia seeds. The website does not say where the chia seeds are harvested.
- Bob’s Red Mill Chia Seeds are sold in three sizes, 16 oz, 25 lbs. and a case (4 16-oz bags). The website includes several recipes so you can start using your chia seed supplement right away. All of Bob’s Red Mill products are certified kosher, non-GMO, gluten free, vegan and Paleo so people with special diets can enjoy them. The company is based in Milwaukie, OR.
5. Nutiva Organic Chia Seed
Nutiva Organic Chia Seed supplement is certified organic, non-GMO, unrefined, vegan and gluten-free. The supplement comes in several forms and sizes. You can purchase this supplement as ground or whole chia seeds. You can also choose between all black and all white raw chia seeds. The supplement is 100 percent raw organic chia seed.
- Nutiva Organic Chia Seed is manufactured in Richmond, CA. The website does not specify where the seeds are harvested. For ordering, the sizes are 6 oz., 12 oz., 32 oz. and 10 lbs. for the black whole chia seeds, 12 oz. for the ground chia seeds and 12 oz. for the white chia seeds. The company also offers a 30-day money back guarantee.
6. Spectrum Essentials Chia Seeds
Spectrum Essentials Chia Seeds come in several formulations: whole white chia seeds, whole black chia seeds and ground chia seeds. The supplement contains only organic, raw, certified gluten-free and non-GMO chia seeds.
- Spectrum Essentials Chia Seeds come in several sizes for ordering. The ground chia seeds come in 10 oz. and both the whole white and whole black chia seeds come in 12 oz. sizes. The company is based in Boulder, CO. The website does not state where the chia seeds are harvested.
7. Now Foods White Chia Seeds
Now Foods White Chia Seeds supplement is certified organic, kosher, non-GMO, vegan and gluten-free. It is available in one size only – as a 1 lbs. bag. There is also a ground chia seed meal supplement that is available in a 10 oz. bag. This supplement is also available in ground form in a 10 oz. bag and as black raw whole chia seeds in a 12 oz. bag.
- Now Foods White Chia Seeds is part of the greater NOW family of products. NOW Foods is based in Bloomingdale, IL, and Sparks, NV. The website does not specify where the chia seeds are harvested.
8. Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Chia Seeds
Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Chia Seeds are certified 100 percent organic, vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, raw and fair trade sourced.
- Terrasoul Superfoods Organic Chia Seeds come in several sizes for ordering. The raw black whole chia comes in 1.5 lbs. and 5 lbs. bulk. The raw white whole chia comes in 16 oz. and 5 lbs. bulk. They are harvested in Mexico, Paraguay and/or Argentina and packaged in the U.S.A. according to the website.
9. Barleans Organic Oils Organic Chia Seed
Barleans Organic Oils Organic Chia Seed is certified as organic, kosher, non-GMO and vegan. It comes in a 12 oz. resealable pouch. The supplement contains only whole raw mature black chia seeds.
- Barleans Organic Oils Organic Chia Seed is part of a family of Barleans products. The company itself is family-founded and operated. They have won #1 health food store brand and #1 manufacturer of the year on several occasions. The company is based in Ferndale, WA.
10. Garden Of Life Organic Chia Seed
Garden Of Life Organic Chia Seeds are dual certified as organic and as non-GMO (genetically modified organisms). All Garden of Life products are grown in a sustainable way to support United States farmers. This supplement contains 100 percent raw organic chia seeds. The supplement is a mixture of both black and white mature seeds.
- Garden Of Life Organic Chia Seed is also certified as vegan, gluten free and raw, so people with special diets can safely enjoy this supplement.