What is GABA?
Gaba is an acronym that stands for gamma-aminobutyric acid, a neurotransmitter in the human body. It is actually one of the most common and abundant such neurotransmitters, along with glutamate. Gaba is thought to play several important roles in the body’s health, including to regulate anxiety, fear and pain.
Things to Look for in a Good Gaba Supplement
The number one criteria for choosing a good Gaba supplement is the purity of the ingredients. There is currently no single medically-accepted standard for dosage levels.
As with all supplements, you need to make sure and check for the following criteria:
- Brand Reputation and Quality
- Ingredients Used
- Customer Feedback and Reviews
- Value for your money
- Who you are buying from
- Online rankings/reviews
How to Take Gaba
Taking Gaba orally is the method of choice for many researchers that are studying its effects today. As with all additions to your health routine, it is always best to talk with your doctor before adding Gaba to your supplements.
A note of caution: If you are currently trying to get pregnant, are pregnant now or are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking Gaba. As well, since there is currently no literature on drug interactions, talk to your doctor before taking Gaba if you are on any medications long-term.
Top 10 Gaba Products
1. NOW Foods GABA
- NOW Foods Gaba contains 500 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid with 2 mg of Vitamin B6 to aid in absorption. It comes in capsule form.
- Is certified as vegan, vegetarian, non-GMO, gluten free and kosher. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule 2 or 3 times per day on an empty stomach or as directed by your doctor.
2. Pure Encapsulations GABA
- Pure Encapsulations GABA contains 700 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid in a vegetarian capsule.
- Certified as hypoallergenic, vegan and vegetarian. The manufacturer recommends taking one capsule per day between your meals or as directed by your doctor.
3. Thorne Research PharmaGABA-100
- Thorne Research PharmaGABA-100 contains 100 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid in capsule form.
- Certified as vegetarian. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 to 3 capsules per day or as directed by your doctor.
4. Vitanica GABA Ease
- Vitanica Gaba Ease contains 750 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid along with 100 mg of L-Theanine (green tea extract), 150 mg of passionflower extract, 150 mg of hops (phytoestrogens) and 150 mg of skullcap (nerves).
- Is certified vegetarian and vegan. The manufacturer recommends taking 2 capsules 1 or 2 times per day or as directed by your doctor. As well, the manufacturer recommends avoiding taking this supplement while pregnant or breastfeeding.
5. Country Life GABA Relaxer
- Country Life Gaba Relaxer contains 100 mg gamma-aminobutyric acid along with 200 mg free-form glycine, 300 mg inositol, 300 mg taurine, 10 mg of Vitamin B6 and 100 mg of niacin in a vegetarian capsule form. The Vitamin B6 is added for better utilization.
- Is certified as vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free. It is also verified as containing no wheat, dairy, yeast, soy, sugar, salt, GMOs, artificial colors or preservatives. The manufacturer recommends taking 2 capsule per day just before bedtime or as directed by your doctor.
6. NutraBio 100% Pure GABA
- NutraBio 100% Pure GABA is a powder. One scoop (which comes in the packet) contains 500 mg of the powder.
- Certified pure and free of artificial ingredients or fillers. The manufacturer recommends it for use by persons over the age of 18 and also recommends talking with your doctor first if you have chronic health conditions or are on any long-term medications. You can take one scoop mixed into water or juice on an empty stomach before bed.
7. Designs For Health PharmaGABA
- Designs For Health PharmaGABA contains 150 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid in a chewable tablet form.
- Certified as non-GMO. The manufacturer recommends chewing 2 tablets as needed or as directed by your doctor.
8. Integrative Therapeutics GABA
- Integrative Therapeutics GABA contains 750 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid in capsule form.
- Is certified as free of sugar, salt, animal products, gluten, yeast, wheat, soy, dairy, artificial colors and preservatives. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 to 2 capsules per day or as directed by your doctor. Additionally, it is recommended to avoid drinking alcohol while taking this supplement and to talk with your doctor first if you are taking treatment for seizures, high blood pressure, depression or blood clotting.
9. NutraBulk GABA
- NutraBulk GABA is a powder supplement. Each scoop (the scoop come with the package) contains 1,000 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid.
- Is certified as free of dairy, wheat, soy, sugar, yeast, gluten, sweeteners, artificial colors and preservatives. The manufacturer recommends taking one scoopful before bedtime or as directed by your doctor.
10. Amazing Nutrition GABA
- Amazing Nutrition Gaba contains 750 mg of gamma-aminobutyric acid per capsule.
- Certified as free of sodium, lactose, dairy, wheat, soy, gluten, yeast, egg, corn, artificial colors and preservatives. The manufacturer recommends taking 1 capsule per day without protein or as directed by your doctor. If you are under the age of 18, taking any long-term medications or have any long-term medical conditions, talk to your doctor before taking this supplement.