Note: There are affiliate links in this article, if you buy something, we get a commission on the sale.
If you are tired of using the same old whey protein powder supplements then you might want consider switching in a rice protein powder for a change.
Rice protein powders are the ideal choice for vegans, vegetarians, or any of you who suffer from lactose intolerance or other forms of milk allergy. They are hypoallergenic and many offer a complete spectrum of amino acids that your body needs to make strength and size gains.
What is Rice Protein Powder?
Whether you are an athlete, bodybuilder, or just an average person, rice protein powders are a healthy and effective way of boosting your protein intake.
Rice protein powders are at vegans-friendly and vegetarian-friendly, and are typically made from rice protein concentrate or brown rice protein concentrate.
Whether your rice protein powder is made from white rice or brown rice is not a very important factor, but you might find that brown rice protein powders consume slightly more fat and fiber which is beneficial for helping you to feel fuller for longer.
Rice protein powders are treated with various digestive enzymes in order to break them down and make them more easy for humans to digestive, and for this reason they tend to digestive very quickly.
This rapid rate of digestion makes rice protein powders suitable for use when you require a fast-digesting protein, for example immediately after your workouts.
Benefits of Rice Protein
You can use a rice protein powder in just the same way as you would any other type of protein.
The fact that these proteins digestive rather quickly means that they can be used first thing in the morning, post-workout, or at any other time when you require a quick search of protein into your system.
If you have a sensitive digestive system and want something that is easily absorbed then Rice protein powders are also usually suitable in this context.
The most common use of rice protein powders is simply as an all-purpose source of high-quality protein that can be consumed throughout the day without having to prepare a full meal of solid food.
This makes rice protein supplements incredibly convenient because you can simply mix one or two scoops with water and chug down your shake, consuming plenty of protein and nutritional calories within mere moments.
Rice protein powders are also available in a range of different flavors, including commonly used flavors such as chocolate and strawberry, so you might also want to consider using them to add some flavor to your existing foods.
This will of course provide the added benefit of boosting the protein content of whatever to you add your protein powder to.
Who Can Benefit From It?
Vegans and vegetarians are the most obvious candidates from benefiting from supplementing with a rice protein powder because they are free of all animal products.
It can be very difficult for vegans and vegetarians to consume enough food that contains a complete spectrum of amino acids, so supplementing with rice protein is an excellent idea to prevent any nutritional deficiencies from developing.
This is particularly important for vegans and vegetarians who have aspirations in the areas of bodybuilding and athleticism in general because far higher protein intakes are required if any progress is to be made.
Aside from this, individuals suffering with milk allergies or lactose intolerance may also find rice protein powders to be beneficial because they contain no lactose or any dairy ingredients.
Most rice protein powders are wonderfully hypoallergenic and incredibly easy to digestive, making them a suitable alternative source of protein for just about any person, regardless of their age, dietary preferences, or athletic aspirations.
Rice protein is also great for those of you who’ve been using whey protein powder for a long time and would like to cycle a different form of protein for a while.
Cycling your protein powders is a great way of preventing intolerances from developing and affecting your digestion, so be sure to consider trying out one of the rice proteins below even if you aren’t a vegan or vegetarian.
Taking Rice Protein Powders
We always recommend referring to the manufacturer’s guidelines on any supplement that you purchase, but rice protein powders do tend to be rather simple to use.
A single serving of rice protein powder will typically consist of one or two scoops, which are to be mixed in your shaker with water or a beverage of your choice, shaken up, and then consumed immediately.
You can use rice protein powder at any time of day, but you will likely find that many manufacturers will recommend that you use it in the post-workup period.
Aside from this, you might want to consider using some protein powder first thing in the morning or at times when you are unable to get hold of some solid food.
The vegans and vegetarians among you will also find rice protein powder incredibly useful because it can be drunk as a shake alongside a normal meal if it does not contain enough protein.
Whatever you decide to do with your protein powder, just make sure that the vast majority of your diet consists of whole foods rather than you relying on supplements instead. Most of your protein should be coming from solid food, with rice protein powders making up a small proportion of that.
There is nothing wrong with consuming two or three protein shakes per day, but make sure you alternate between liquid and solid meals for optimal results.
Always speak with your doctor before taking any supplements.
What to Look for in a Good Rice Protein Powder
Rice protein powders tend to be very simple supplements, but we recommend that you check the ingredients list to ensure that the product you choose uses either concentrated rice protein or rice protein isolate.
These two types of rice protein will be the most highly reformed version is available, making them very easy to digestive with optimal rates of absorption.
You should also keep an eye on the sugar and total carbohydrate content of any rice protein powder product that you purchase as this will ensure that you do not derailed your dieting efforts by inadvertently consuming hidden sugars.
Aside from this, we have done pretty much all of the legwork required to find a decent rice protein supplement.
The rice protein powder rankings below have been compiled using factors such as the popularity of each product, feedback received from users online, and the choice of ingredients in each formulation.
We have done the research so that you don’t have to, so sit back, take a look through this list, and you’re sure to find a rice protein powder that is perfect for you.
1. Naked Rice 100% Organic Sprouted by Naked Nutrition
Those of you on the lookout for a truly “naked” rice protein supplement that contains no unpleasant artificial ingredients will definitely want to consider investing in a tub of NAKED RICE – 100% Organic Sprouted Brown Rice Protein. Serving as a potent source of vitamins, minerals, and essential amino acids, this rice protein powder is almost certainly one of the best options that money can buy.
- Includes nothing but Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein
- Provides 25g of protein per serving
- Available in packages containing 76 servings
- An excellent source of Magnesium and Phosphorus
- Manufactured as a cost-effective bulk unflavored powder
2. Jarrow Formulas Brown Rice Protein Concentrate
Vegan protein powders can be somewhat lacking in the taste department but Jarrow Formulas Brown Rice Protein Concentrate manages to prevent end to all of that with its amazing vanilla flavor. Although Jarrow Formulas Brown Rice Protein Concentrate tastes absolutely fantastic it is still a high-quality protein powder that is as effective as it is cost-effective. You definitely won’t want to pass this one up!
- Developed using non-GMO Organic Brown Rice Protein
- Available in a delicious Vanilla flavor
- Provides 11g of protein per serving
- Available in packages containing approximately 29 servings
- Gluten-Free and suitable for vegans and vegetarians
3. Nutribiotic Rice Protein
What we have here is an arguably even better tasting rice protein powder that our previous entry, using Rice syrup solids to create a decadent least sweet and delicious taste. With an impressive 70% protein content, sprouted brown rice, and two amazing flavors to choose from, Nutribiotic Rice Protein definitely deserves its spot in third position in this year’s rice protein powder rankings.
- Made with Enzymatically Processed Rice Protein from Whole Grain
- Also includes Sprouted Brown Rice and Rice Syrup Solids
- Available in delicious Chocolate and Vanilla flavors
- Contains 70% protein by weight
- Available in packages containing 40 servings
4. Sunwarrior Classic Wholegrain Brown Rice Protein Powder
Excelling in the areas of taste, quality, serving size, and value for money, Sunwarrior Classic Wholegrain Brown Rice Protein Powder delivers the goods on all fronts and is well deserving of the top spot in this year’s rice protein powder rankings. Vegans, vegetarians, and meat eaters alike simply won’t believe how great this rice protein powder tastes. Sunwarrior Classic Wholegrain Brown Rice Protein Powder is a healthy and undeniably effective protein powder that is suitable for athletes, bodybuilders, and average weekend warriors.
- Made with Raw Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein
- Provide 16g of protein per serving
- Available in packages containing 47 servings
- A rich source of amino acids, vitamins, and minerals
- Vegan-friendly, non-GMO, and gluten-free
- Available in a tasty Chocolate flavor
5. Orgain Organic Protein Plant-Based Powder
When it comes to multi-source plant-based protein powders you really aren’t going to find much better than Orgain Organic Protein Plant-Based Powder; this is exactly what you’ve been looking for. The Sweet Vanilla Bean flavor really has to be experienced to be believed.
- Made using rice Protein Isolate, Organic Rice Protein, and Organic Hemp Protein
- Also contains rice Fiber and White Chia Seed
- Sweetened with Stevia and no artificial sweeteners
- Gluten-free and suitable for vegans and vegetarians
- Contains only non-GMO ingredients
6. Growing Naturals Rice Protein Powder
Growing Naturals Rice Protein Powder is another top rice protein powder supplement that uses a sprouted Brown Rice for enhanced amino acid content and increased bioavailability. With 5g of BCAA and 4.1g of glutamine precursor in each serving, Growing Naturals Rice Protein Powder is almost certainly one of the more bodybuilder-friendly vegans protein powders on the market.
- Includes nothing but Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein Isolate
- Provides 24g of protein per serving
- Includes 5g of BCAA and 4.1g of glutamine precursors per serving
- Provides a broad spectrum of essential amino acids
- Made with organic, non-GMO ingredients
7. Garden of Life RAW Organic Protein
Now we’re talking! Garden of Life RAW Organic Protein is an amazing plant-based protein powder that contains a dizzying array of organic plant proteins, including rice, quinoa, millet, and many, many more. If you are in the market for a rice protein powder that will offer a range of health benefits beyond its simple protein content then you should definitely add Garden of Life RAW Organic Protein to your shortlist.
- Made with Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Brown Rice
- Also contains Organic Amaranth Sprout, Organic Quinoa Sprout, Organic Millet Sprout, and many more
- Provides 17g of protein per serving
- Provides 3g of dietary fiber per serving
- Also includes a Raw Probiotics & Enzyme Blend
- Hypoallergenic and very easy to digest
8. Source Naturals Brown Rice Protein
Source Naturals Brown Rice Protein Powder has been designed to be easy to digest and gentle on from allergies, so if this sounds like you then this rice protein powder might be just what you’ve been looking for. It is also worth mentioning that this is an unflavored rice protein powder, making it a cost-effective solution for those of you who are operating on a particularly tight budget but still want to reap the health benefits of a vegan-friendly protein powder.
- Made using Brown Rice Protein Concentrate
- Provides 6g of protein per serving
- Available in packages containing 16 oz and 32oz of powder
- Hypoallergenic and suitable for vegans and vegetarians
- Contains no artificial sweeteners, flavorings, or any other fillers
9. NOW Foods Sprouted Brown Rice Protein
NOW Foods Sprouted Brown Rice Protein is an excellent rice protein powder that has been produced using sprouted Brown Rice to provide a far more comprehensive amino acid profile. This rice protein supplement has been made by a brand that you can truly trust, offering ease of digestion, a high rate of bioavailability, and the exclusive use of non-GMO ingredients.
- Contains nothing but Sprouted Brown Rice Protein Concentrate
- Provides 4g of protein per serving
- Available in packages containing approximately 181 servings
- Made exclusively with non-GMO ingredients
- Manufactured by one of the world’s leading dietary supplement brands
10. AI Sports Nutrition NO WHEY
AI Sports Nutrition NO WHEY is an excellent product that combines rice and pea proteins to provide you with a comprehensive spectrum of essential and non-essential amino acids. This rice protein powder contains a whopping 30g of high-quality plant-based protein in each serving, giving your body everything it needs to recover from intense workouts and exercise bouts.
- Manufactured using Rice and Pea Proteins
- Provides 30g of protein per serving
- Contains a vitamin and mineral blend for enhanced health and well-being
- A potent source of antioxidants
- Gluten-free and suitable for vegans and vegetarians
Don’t be deterred from using a plant-based protein powder if you are not a vegetarian because there are still numerous health benefits to be gained from them.
There are some amazing blends of plant extracts and different types of proteins to be found in these protein supplements, and we are genuinely impressed with the quality of products in this year’s line up.
Sunwarrior Classic Wholegrain Brown Rice Protein Powder maybe the best rice protein powder of the year but the other contenders in our list are still fantastic, especially if you are interested in using a multi-source plant-based protein powder.
Whichever product you choose, make sure it serves to supplement an already well balanced diet containing plenty of whole food sources of protein, in addition to the fats and carbohydrates your body needs for fuel and to recover from your training.
With a solid diet and a great rice protein powder to hand, vegans and vegetarians have no excuses for not making all kinds of gains!