1.) 4 Gauge Pre-Workout
4 Gauge Pre-Workout supplies incredible boost in stamina, power and energy. The product is made from 100% natural ingredients and contains low caffeine, but no artificial sweeteners.
Manufacturer: 4 Gauge
Average Online Rating: 4.7/5
- 6,000mg Citrulline Malate
- 1,000mg Creatine Monohydrate
- 500mg Acetyl L-Carnitine
- 200mg L-Theanine
- 300mg Coconut Water Powder
- 300mg Red Beetroot Extract
- 150mg Caffeine
- 100mg Rhodiola Rosea
2.) Transparent Labs PreSeries BULK
PreSeries BULK contains 20 active ingredients that help in increasing nitric oxide levels that pump up the body. Besides improving focus, increasing strength, enhancing physical performance, the product reduces fatigue and muscle soreness.
Manufacturer: Transparent Labs
Average Online Rating: 4.8/5
- 6g Citrulline malate
- 4g Beta-alanine
- 4g BCAA (2:1:1 ratio)
- 4g Betaine anhydrous
- 3g Taurine
- 3g Tyrosine
- 600mg tyrosin
- 180mg Caffeine anhydrous
3.) Betancourt Bullnox Androrush
Bullnox Andorush is made from highly effective ingredients that are capable of producing explosive energy and supplying powerful strengths. Facilitating intense focus and drive, it increases the natural testosterone levels offering the best-required pump before hitting the gym.
Average Online Rating: 4.25/5
- Strength and Endurance blend (creatine (3 forms), beta-alanine & taurine)
- Nitric Oxide blend (tyrosine, arginine, creatine AKG & beetroot)
- Endocrine Ignition blend (zinc oxide, tribulus terrestris extract, horny goat weed extract & maca extract)
- Neural Energy blend (caffeine anhydrous & tyrosine)
- Anabolic Solidification blend (glutamine, valine & isoleucine)
- Zinc oxide
- Tribulus Terrestris extract
- Horny goat weed extract
- Maca extract
- Caffeine anhydrous
4.) Cellucor C4 50x
The product is intended to provide explosive energy that is great for pumping your muscles. With two new ingredients, i.e., TeaCor and XCELICOR, C4 50x increases strength and improves endurance.
Average Online Rating: 4.2/5
- 4g Beta-Alanine
- 5g Creatine Nitrate
- 557mg C4 50x Explosion Blend (tyrosine, caffeine anhydrous, XCELICOR & TeaCor)
- 5g Arginine
5.) ENGN Pre-Workout
Enhancing cognitive function and mood, ENGN Pre-Workout helps to increase muscle endurance and delay muscle fatigue. Hence, it would supply explosive energy and amplify pumps for indulging in longer and harder workouts.
Manufacturer: Evlution Nutrition
Average Online Rating: 4.5/5
- 1,600mg Carnosyn brand beta-alanine
- 2,000mg Creatine Complex (creatine monohydrate & magnesium)
- 2,213mg ENGN Mind-to-Muscle Matrix Blend (betaine anhydrous, tyrosine, choline bitartrate & caffeine anhydrous)
6.) Pro Supps Mr. Hyde
A supplement by ProSupps, it is designed to offer extreme energy and pump besides increasing the concentration levels. Overall, it is a balanced as well as an effective product that contains ingredients that are scientifically proven to improve endurance, strength and athletic performance.
Average Online Rating: 4.5/5
- 5,000mg Strength Matrix Blend (beta alanine, creatine hydrochloride, L-leucine, agmatine sulphate & L-citrulline malate)
- Yohimbe & Pikatropin
- 154mg Intensity Matrix Blend (Pikatropin, tyramine, hordenine & yohimbe bark extract)
- 419mg Caffeine Matrix (Caffeine anhydrous, dicaffeine malate & caffeine)
7.) BPI Sports 1.M.R. Vortex
M.R. Vortex stimulates the central nervous system and increases the energy level which in turn boosts the workout performance. The supplement can also help in increasing mental focus, mood and trigger fat burning possibilities. The other benefits include reduction of inflammation and post-workout recovery time.
Manufacturer: BPI Sports
Average Online Rating: 4/5
Main Ingredients: 1,705mg proprietary blend made of the following ingredients:
- Securinega Suffruticosa
- Caffeine Anhydrous
- Indigofera Pulchra
8.) Rich Piana’s 5% Nutrition Kill It
5% Nutrition Kill IT is a unique blend of high performing ingredients that are meant to enhance the energy levels, drive, power and strength. It can be consumed by both men and women. The product intends to deliver a balanced pre-workout boost that helps in reaching the best potentials of your body at the gym. Rich Piana offers this product in 4 different flavors.
Manufacturer: Rich Piana
Average Online Rating: 4.1
- 7,450mg Nitric Oxide/Endurance Blend (citrulline malate, tyrosine, beta-alanine & caffeine)
- 1,500mg Creatine Blend (magnesium creatine chelate, creatine pyruvate & tri-creatine malate)
- Coconut Water
9.) Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre-Workout
Gold Standard Pre-Workout is made from pure clinically tested ingredients that supply a boost in energy, strength and endurance levels. Helping to maximize the workout potential, it also reduces effects of stress while increasing mental focus.
Manufacturer: Optimum Nutrition
Average Online Rating: 4.1/5 Stars
- 5g Carnosyn brand beta-alanine
- 3g Creapure brand creatine monohydrate
- 5g L-citrulline malate
- 175mg Caffeine
- 375mg Carnitine HCI
- 250 mg Tyrosine
10.) JYM Pre-JYM
The supplement comes with an advanced pre-workout formula that optimizes the workout efforts. It promotes muscle endurance, muscle pumps and increases muscle growth and performance. Additionally, it helps in increasing muscle strength and aids in reducing muscle fatigue.
Manufacturer: JYM Supplement Science
Average Online Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
- 6g BCAAs
- 6g Citrulline Malate
- 2g Creatine HCL
- 2g CarnoSyn brand beta-alanine
- 5g Betaine
- 300mg Caffeine
Pre-Workout Supplements Guide
Attention: This guide has not been written, reviewed or endorsed by a medical professional and may not be used to diagnose or treat any medical conditions. You should always speak with your doctor before taking any supplements mentioned on this website.
For people who exercise regularly and enjoy staying fit, it is very important remaining energized during workouts. Essentially a solid diet that supplies adequate energy and keeps you hydrated is a must when exercising on a regular basis. But to maximize the efficiency of the efforts, supplements are the best sources that aid in increasing energy, strength and focus levels.
The market presently offers a wide variety of supplements to choose. However, the two common options are the pre-workout supplements and protein powders. We have discussed the ten best pre-workout supplements above, but it is very important to know about these products, the effect they have on the body and the manner in which they can help in achieving workout goals.
What are Pre-Workout Supplements?
As the term signifies, pre-workout supplements are the supplements that you take before a workout. They are meant to provide extra energy, strength, endurance, and power within a short period post-consumption. The primary goal of these products is to offer the required tools that can help the body reach its potential.
Irrespective of the fact that you are lifting weights at the gym, jogging, swimming, or sparring, these pre-workout supplements will offer the added advantage. It would eventually push an individual harder to obtain better results.
Mostly these supplements are available in powdered form and need to be mixed with milk or water for consumption. They are also available in forms of pre-made drinks, pills or bars providing similar results and containing active ingredients.
Each form of the supplement has its one benefits, but the best available form is the powdered version. The only reason to say so is the fact that these tend to absorb and digest much quicker and offer a quick boost to the body.
Stim vs. Stim-free Pre-workout Supplements
Non-stimulant supplements are often considered to be a practical option to choose as they do not contain inositol, taurine or ingredients that may cause insomnia. It is only possible to have an optimized muscle growth if the body is getting the required rest.
On the contrary, pre-workout supplements featuring stimulating properties need only be taken during the day so that it doesn’t affect the usual sleeping patterns.
How do They Work?
Bodybuilders and professional athletes prefer adding supplements to their diets to gain extra energy and strength. Pre-workout supplements are special powders that have to be taken before exercising. They primarily support muscle building and promotes fat loss.
Primarily, these supplements stimulate the body as per the ingredients they are made of while boosting the energy levels and offering extra strength to the body. Each ingredient works differently and the manner in which they work or help in achieving desired results have been discussed with their benefits below.
Benefits of Pre-Workout Supplements
The benefit a supplement offers is largely dependent on the ingredients. While some ingredients provide instant power, they come with serious side-effects. On the contrary, some ingredients work slowly, but cause minimal damage. Hence, before purchasing any pre-workout supplement, make sure to check the ingredients thoroughly. Some of the commonly used elements for producing these supplements and their benefits have been discussed below:
- Caffeine: The most common stimulant which is used in manufacturing popular pre-workout supplements is caffeine. We already know that some people often drink several cups of coffee to improve their concentration levels due to its core component caffeine. Similarly, it is used in these supplements to improve concentration levels during the workout and provide the extra energy that is needed throughout the hardcore workout sessions.
- Creatine: Another key ingredient that is common, Creatine builds more muscles and offers the much needed extra energy during a workout. It provides energy to the cells, particularly the muscles. Intake of supplements containing creatine before a workout will help in enhancing the effectiveness and provide more energy.
- Beta–Alanine: It is used to offer protection to the body that is caused due to lactic acid build-up after exercising. Beta-alanine increases the carnosine levels in the body and efficiently rectifies the pH levels to eliminate the chances of being acidic. It is very important that supplements with Beta-alanine are consumed before a workout to provide the protective effect. It is also termed as CarnoSyn which usually leaves a strange warm tingling sensation among the newbies.
- Nitric Oxide: Most pre-workout supplements print terms like NO boost, Pump Matrix or Nitric Oxide These are special mixes of both vitamins and minerals that help in the production of nitric oxide which dilutes in the blood vessels and increases blood flow. With a better blood flow, the level of workout gets enhanced eventually.
- Amino Acids: Supplements containing Amino Acids like L-leucine promotes muscle growth through protein synthesis. L-arginine leaves a pump effect, increases Nitric Oxide production, improves blood flow and delivers nutrients needed for growth of muscle fibers. In the same way, agmatine is known to support NO production and provide cognitive benefits as well as mental endurance needed during a workout.
L-citrulline is one more amino acid that falls under vasodilator or pumps blanket. The element increases both blood and oxygen levels in the muscles and assists in the reduction of mental and physical fatigue. Amino acids are available naturally in the human body, but extra intake in the form of supplements can aid in the development of larger muscles.
Overall the benefits that pre-workout supplements aim to offer include:
- Improvement in athletic performance
- Increase in endurance, strength and protein synthesis
- Enhance energy levels
- Ease nutrient delivery to the muscles
- Facilitate better fat burning by increasing metabolic rate
- Create optimal hormonal environment
Besides knowing the benefits of pre-workout supplements, it is important that you are well-aware about the possible side-effects. They vary from one product to the other, but some of the common impacts include:
- Tingling effect: Mostly felt in the 1st time users, it occurs after a few minutes post consumption. Tingling of skin is a very common side-effect, but there is nothing to be worried about. Also termed as paesthesia, it is caused due to large doses of beta-alanine. The best part about this impact is that it is harmless and subsides after few dosage of consumption.
- Bloating: Supplements containing creatine monohydrate makes you feel bloated as they force the muscles to pull extra water for building and repairing muscles quicker. It adds extra weight causing a temporary feeling of bloating. Although in most cases it is harmless, it may leave women to feel It is specifically one of the reasons that the best pre-workout supplement for women doesn’t contain creatine.
- Dehydrated: Supplements also have ingredients that often lead to dehydration and again creatine is the chief ingredient among them all. Other stimulants like caffeine cause dehydration due to their diuretic effect. The only way to counter this side effect is to drink enough water while consuming pre-workout supplements.
- Lack of Sleep: Too much of caffeine, in particular, is known to cause insomnia or lack of sleep. To counter, it is better to allow substantial time in between consumption of the supplement and sleeping. It allows wearing off the effects of caffeine and it’s better to avoid caffeine when doing a late-night workout.
- Stomach upset: Diarrhea or upset stomach is one of the other side-effects of pre-workout supplements. If a person experiences an upset stomach after starting the consumption of a new supplement, it is advised to stop it immediately.
Usually, the side-effects of consuming pre-workout supplements are considerably low, but it’s really important to consider the dosage recommendations. Doing so will help in avoiding any serious side-effects and help you in reaping the best benefits of these products. However, it is always recommended to consult a doctor before taking any of the preferred supplements.
How & When To Take Them?
Maintain a gap between consumption and workout
Pre-workout supplements provide a short-term boost in energy levels and support better athletic performance. Hence, it is always advised to take them before exercising. For regular intakes, people should only consume these supplements at least 20 to 45 minutes before their workout.
Follow the dosage instructions
Additionally, every product comes with detailed instructions regarding its intake. One should never be consuming the supplement more than the advised dosage. For the newbies, it is best to start with half the dosage and closely observe the reaction it has on the body.
Practice a Cycle of Consumption
Taking a break after consuming a supplement for one or two months is another practice that must be adopted. During this period the body adapts to the ingredients used and over time it might reduce the effectiveness. It is primarily one of the major reasons that dieticians or physicians often recommend to cycle supplements for a period of 6 to 8 weeks. It needs to be followed with a consumption of a new supplement for another 6 to 8 weeks and then keep on repeating the cycle.
Mix them well
Mostly available in powdered form, it is highly important that you mix them well with water or other preferred liquid in a shaker bottle. Mixing well ensures that the dosage is mixed evenly and consumed in the right proportion.
Read the Instructions
Before you select any pre-workout supplement, ensure that you are reading the instructions printed on the label. It not only gives an idea about the composition, but also lets you understand if it is the product that you are searching. For instance, if you are already suffering from insomnia, it is better to consume a product that does not contain caffeine.
What to Look for in a Good Pre-Workout Product?
Coming to selecting the best product that meets your purpose can be a difficult endeavor. However, if you consider the following factors before finalizing an alternative, you are in a better position to reap the potential benefits.
Contribution towards your goals
The 1st and foremost thing is to check if the product meets the requirement for which you are going to consume it. For example, if you are going to lift weights and trim your body, you should be opting for a supplement that offers the required pump. On the contrary, if your goal is to lose weight and get an evenly toned body, it is better to select a pre-workout supplement for cutting.
The type and quality of ingredients used to manufacture a product are directly proportional to the quality of results it delivers. Hence, it should be a priority to check for products that are made using quality ingredients.
The value of a brand certainly matters and it will always play a role when selecting a particular product. Hence, going for a product from a well-known brand is always a better option when people are looking for a quality product.
Affordability and its value
The price certainly plays a crucial role when you are purchasing a product. However, it is not about spending high to get the best results. One needs to be very sure about the cost they pay per serving and the value it adds to their objective. It is possible by comparing the alternatives against each other on the key parameters of effectiveness.
Taste of the Supplement
It is always a good idea to select a product that tastes good and mixes well. Doing this will make it easy for you to consume the supplement on a regular basis. Checking out customer reviews will help in understanding its taste and mixability.
It is evident that pre-workout supplements offer benefits that aid in meeting fitness goals. People often prefer them when hitting the gym or going for long hikes. Even regular joggers or swimmers consume these supplements for enriching the benefits they have on offer.
Hence, irrespective of the fact that you are an athlete, a bodybuilder or a person who performs high-intensity work on a daily basis, pre-workout supplements can enhance your output.
By now you should be well-aware about the need for pre-workout supplements and the best available options in the market. The products featured above are among the best ten options, but their effectiveness varies from one person to the other. Certain other factors like personal objectives, preferences and budgets will also play a determining role when finalizing a product.